To safely share data, you need to answer yes to each of the following criteria.
If you answer no to any of the following, complete these requirements before sharing your data.
This checklist is also available as a download.
As the data owner:
Ownership and governance
- You have authority within your organisation to share the data.
- You have ensured that there is no personal information in the data.
- You have ensured that there are no specific legal restrictions preventing the sharing of the data.
- You have conducted due diligence to ensure your agency owns the data (it is not a commercial data or owned by another organisation).
Data quality and metadata
- You have provided good metadata that helps other agencies to understand your data, how it was created and how they should use it.
- You have created a Data Quality Statement to supply with your data, that reflects the accuracy, completely, reliability and currency of the data.
- You have identified any security classifications or sensitivity flags or restrictions that should apply to the data.
Data use requirements
- If you wish to be consulted before insights based on your data are published by data users, you have identified this in your data listing.
- If your data can only be used for specific purposes, you have identified what these purposes are in your data listing.
- If you require data users to only use your data for a specific period or require them to delete your data after a specific period, you have identified this in your data listing.
- If you require data users to store your data securely, you have specified this in your data listing.
- You have ensured that sharing this data will not infringe on any intellectual property rights of any third parties.
- If you are happy to transfer intellectual property rights in your data to the data user, you have specified this in your data listing.
Disputes and liabilities
- You share data in good faith and will attempt to resolve any disputes in accordance with Premier’s Memorandum M1997-26 Litigation Involving Government Authorities.
- In sharing your data, you are not representing, warranting or accepting any liability in relation to the accuracy, completeness, reliability or quality of your data. You are also not warranting fitness for purpose, non-infringement, or any other representations.
Last updated: 19 June 2019