In this section:
- Data leads to better customer service
- Data use helps to maximise data investment
- Data.NSW provides a data sharing infrastructure
You might need to help build a culture of data use and sharing in your organisation. Here are some arguments you can use to help persuade people in your organisation of the value of data sharing and of the Data.NSW environment.
- Data is a key element of the digital transformation of NSW government.
- Data from a range of sources helps to drive more targeted and useful customer services.
- NSW government is moving to agile, responsive models for decision making.
- Access to more data allows agencies to more rapidly measure the effectiveness of their approaches, and drive faster pivots or reassessments based on evidence.
- Access to more data can lead to better informed investments and more comprehensive planning.
- Better decisions can be made and better customer outcomes achieved through access to a range of data sources that can help to yield richer insights.
- Data sharing can enable better collaboration across all levels of government, to develop coordinated, long term and evidence-based approaches to planning and development.
All governments invest a lot of money in data and sharing data allows this investment to be maximised
Governments across Australia spend more than $10 billion each year in data collection and management.
This data is needed to perform daily business operations, but, with the right privacy protections and management, this data can also be repurposed and used by other government agencies to improve planning, decision making and customer service outcomes.
For example, an organisation invested $7 million in gathering high quality data for a specific project. By allowing this data to be shared and by preparing good metadata and quality statements to support this sharing, the organisation can continue to gain value from this investment, beyond the initial project, and also allow other organisations to benefit from its initial investment.
Agencies are often unaware of the cross-government value of their data and so across government, there needs to be an acknowledgement of the all of government benefit that can come from data sharing.
Data.NSW has been established to provide data sharing infrastructure for agencies that don’t have data infrastructure
Data.NSW works to:
- Enable multi-lateral information sharing across all of government
- Create an environment which allows organisations and people to share data without having to assess legal and business risks each time.
- Provide platforms for risk assessments and license rules to be determined once, and then have these rules govern all ongoing forms of data sharing.
- Create a defensible model of sharing with trusted government partners
- Build a single federated catalogue of datasets
- Establish an environment where data stays in place and under the control of your organisation, where centralised governance and legal models enable you to share data quickly.
- Simplify and minimise the impact on agencies of data sharing requests
- Provide good metrics about data use to help agencies understand where their services are being utilised, how their data is being used and the value it is providing.
Last updated: 19 June 2019